Lifestyle

Did You Know These Foods Are Toxic To Dogs

Dogs are our little best friends and we can’t help but give in to them when they stare at our dinner plates with their puppy dog eyes. It melts our hearts but do we really know what can be toxic to our fur buddies? Animal  expects have put together a list of food and drink you will need to avoid and why.

Salty Snack Foods

Like with humans, large amounts of salt can make dogs extra thirsty. Which will lead to frequent urination and can then lead onto sodium ion poisoning. The worrying signs that you will want to look out for after a high intake of salt would be; diarrhea, vomiting, depression, tremors, high body temperature. The more serious signs would be seizures and even death.  Signs that your pet may have eaten too many salty foods include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures and even death. So although your pet might seem to love that bag of salty popcorn your always sharing, it is best to avoid these snacks.

Alcohol

Under no circumstances should you ever give your dog alcohol. The effects of alcohol on pets can be catastrophic and will cause the usual symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea. But they may also go on to have a lack of coordination, difficulty catching their breath and abnormal blood acidity. In worst case scenarios, your pet could end up in a coma which could lead to death.

Coffee, Chocolate and Caffeine

The culipit inside all these is a substance called methylxanthines. These are found in the cacao seeds which are the fruit of the plant used to make coffee. It is also in the nut of the extract used in some fizzy drinks. The effects of this substance is quite similar to the effects on human but is more severe. Your dog could start to vomit or have diarrhea. They may start to paint and start to excessively sweat. They could become hyper with an abnormal heart rhythm that could like to tremors, seizures and death.  Just to keep in mind that the darker the chocolate, the worst it is for your dog. But do keep all chocolate away as all will contain methylxanthines.

Coconut and Coconut Oil

Coconut water is very high in the potassium which is harmful to your pet and should be avoided. But if coconut and coconut based products are eaten in small amounts they wont do as much damage as others on this list. Although it is still advised to avoid these products just in case. This is due to the flesh and milk of a fresh coconut which contains oils that can cause an upset tummy for your dog.

Coconut Oil

Grapes and Raisins

There has not been much research into the effects of grapes and raisins on dogs but there is speculation that the toxins substance can cause kidney failure. Therefore it is advised that while more information is being gathered around this food type, it is best to stay way clear of these.

Citrus

Citrus fuits are very high in Citric acid which can cause irritation and even central nervous system depression. But if this is eaten in a small amount, your pet is more than likely only going to suffer from an upset stomach. The parts of citrus fruits to avoid are the leaves, peels, fruit, stems and the seeds.

Milk and Dairy

A body would need enough of the enzyme called lactase to be able to digest milk and dairy properly. But dogs do not have this. This is why it is advised to avoid milk and dairy so to avoid any upset stomachs. Similar to that of some humans who also are unable to digest milk and dairy properly.

Nuts

Who knew dogs could get pancreatitis. Well they can, and it is known to be caused from ingesting the likes of pecans, almonds and walnuts. All which are high in oils and fats. Causing vomiting and diarrhea.

Raw/Undercooked Meat, Bones and Eggs

Ever heard of the bacteria called Salmonella and E. Coli? Well these are found in raw meat and eggs and can be very helpful to dogs. Giving your pet raw bones or eggs may seem like the most healthy option giving that they would of once been wild animals. But this can be very dangerous. They could choke on the bones or cause an internal injury due to a bone splint.

Pug Puppy

Yeast Dough

We are sure you probably do not ever give your pet yeast dough but we need to make sure. Yeast dough can cause high amounts of gas in the digestive system which can be very painful. Your dog may seem to bloat very quickly and their stomach could go on to twist which would lead to life saving surgery. So if you are a bread maker, do remember to keep your dog away from the yeast dough.